My unusual hobby #BEDN

I'm taking part in Rosalilium's Blog Every Day in November challenge. Sure, I haven't really completed it as I started late, but I'm loving the prompts and finding new blogs to read and follow on social media.

Today's prompt was a no-brainer for me. Because I do have an 'unusual' hobby, but one that is incredibly fun and interesting. I'm part of a medieval display society - The Lion Rampant.

We aim to portray the excitement and chivalry of the nobility in medieval Europe between the 11th and 15th centuries. We have sword combat, archery, singing, dancing and a short comedy play which we call 'the script'. Best of all, we do it in gorgeous costumes and dresses.

I joined in 2005 and was hooked. During the incredibly painful time after my Dad died, it was one of the main things that kept me going. I even moved to High Wycombe a year after joining, to escape painful memories in London and be closer to my new friends.



Because that is what made the LR so addictive. You could escape for the weekend to a stunning castle and spend nearly the whole time laughing with some of the most intelligent, talented, kind, wonderful friends. We'd sit around the campfire in the evening, telling lewd jokes and singing (our version of Bohemian Rhapsody is amazing) and drinking. We'd toast marshmallows, play hide and seek around the castle grounds at night and the parties in the beer tent at big multi-group events like Tewkesbury were brilliant.

And then I grew up, got married and had kids.


It's much harder to do the shows now. I was never a fan of camping, and the thought of camping with a three year old and a baby fills me with dread. I've known other (braver) families to do it though and it is a great hobby for children to be part of. There are so many educational benefits, plus a sense of independence for older children who can play and explore whilst in a (relatively) safe environment.

And it's fun. So much fun.
thumbnailsize
Unknown said...

That's an awesome unusual hobby! I have never heard of it but sounds like there is some fantastic camaraderie.

TheSpeedBump said...

Love this post! We're a medieval re-enactment family too; my other half's family have done it since before he was born so me and the little one have no choice but to do it too ;) it is so much fun! #abitofeverything

Something Crunchy Mummy said...

What a fantastic hobby and a lovely post! Thanks for linking up to #justanotherlinky xx

Our Cherry Tree said...

It is amazing, would definitely recommend it but I imagine you have a full diary as it is! x

Our Cherry Tree said...

Yay! isn't it great?! People always look at me a bit funny when I say we do this, it's nice to find someone else! x

Our Cherry Tree said...

Thank you for stopping by! x

Our Cherry Tree © . Design by Berenica Designs.