Recipe - Beef and Tomato Stew

I love a good roast dinner on a Sunday. Actually, I love a roast dinner any day of the week. This Sunday we had roast beef, and with only the three of us eating there was a little bit of beef left over. I don't like throwing things away and make an effort to reduce waste and save money - particularly important now that I'm earning less but paying more in childcare!

So on Monday, instead of throwing the last bit of beef away, I decided to turn it into a slow cooked, Italian-esque stew. It's a popular meal in our home and makes a change from the more traditional gravy based stews that I like. I love that it is so simple and yet so delicious, you really can throw in whatever leftovers you have to hand, and it is all cooked in just one pot (or in my case, my trusty slowcooker).




Ingredients
Beef (leftover or fresh, approx 500g)
Mushrooms (approx 200g)
Carrots (3 medium sized)
Celery (3 stalks)
Onions (2 medium sized)
Miniature/baby potatoes (approx 500g)
1 teaspoon of minced garlic/garlic paste
Pepper
Stock cube
Red wine
Chopped tomatoes (1 tin)
Italian mixed herbs (approx 2 teaspoons)

Method
- Peel and roughly chop the carrots and onions
- Roughly chop the beef, mushrooms, celery and potatoes
- Put the beef and vegetables in the slow cooker and add the garlic, stock cube, tomatoes and herbs
- Add a splash of red wine, then top up the pan with water so that the dry ingredients are just covered
- Add pepper to taste and give it all a quick stir (I don't add salt as stock cubes are already quite salty)
- Put the lid on and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours - you can't cook this meal for too long so I find it best to put it on in the morning and let it simmer on low all day.


And that is it. I like to serve it with a little bit of bread to dip into the yummy sauce and some broccoli, but you can always just chuck the broccoli in at the same time as the other vegetables!

#ToddlerApprovedTuesday
Unknown said...

Stew is such a great family meal isn't it? Thanks so much for sharing your version with #toddlerapprovedtuesday x

Our Cherry Tree said...

It is fab, I love chucking it all in the slow cooker and then forgetting about it! x

Our Cherry Tree © . Design by Berenica Designs.