Thrifty Meals - Moroccan style lamb stew

Continuing my thrifty theme for this month, I thought I'd share with you this easy way to use some roast lamb left over from our Mother's Day dinner.

I'd bought the small joint of lamb from Ocado - not my usual choice of online supermarket but they had some offers on which meant it worked out only £2 more expensive than my usual shop. A pleasant surprise. The lamb itself was only £4.25 and was lovely cooked by my wonderful husband with some potatoes and veg on Sunday.



The problem was, I didn't want to throw away what was left but there wasn't enough there on it's own to make a small meal. So, after a rummage in my cupboards and freezer I settled on a lamb stew packed full of beans and vegetables:

1 can of mixed beans
Frozen broccoli
Frozen cauliflower
Frozen carrots
Frozen (can you see a theme emerging?) mixed peppers, baby sweetcorn, and mange tout.

I then added two portions of passata, a splash of red wine and some vegetable stock followed by a pinch of saffron, some cinnamon, some turmeric and some black pepper. I chucked it all in the slow cooker with the lamb and cooked it on high for 5 hours.

It went down really well as a family meal. With no added salt or nasties it was great for Ollie, had loads of yummy veg for Lily and plenty of flavour for Matt and I - even if Matt would have preferred more meat and less vegetables!

I am having to be even more savvy than usual with our food shopping for the month, so if I have any more successes I'll be sure to share them here.
Our Cherry Tree © . Design by Berenica Designs.