In our house, I'm the one who does the majority of the cooking. Matt has a few speciality meals that are way better than mine (his toad in the hole has won the thumbs up from his mother-in-law and that is no mean feat) but usually it falls to me to budget, shop, plan and cook.
Which is fine because I've always enjoyed cooking but it can be disheartening to put a meal in front of the family and see it go to waste. Luckily it doesn't happen too often but you never know with two children in the house which one will decide out of the blue that they don't like pasta/beans/peas/cheese/ham/ice cream on that particular day.
So it was rewarding today to have cooked a meal that was devoured by all. Even second helpings.
It's even better considering that it only took me a few minutes to prepare this morning. I do love my slow cooker! It's fab all year round.
Like all my recipes, this is hardly professional (sorry about that), but if you're looking for something new for your family dinner then this might be the right post for you!
Diced beef (approx 400g)
1 Sweet Potato (medium sized)
2 Carrots (medium sized)
2 Red Peppers
1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
Beef Stock (1/2 Pint)
4 Teaspoons Paprika
1 Teaspoon Dried Chilli Flakes
1 Teaspoon Dried Garlic/Garlic Paste
- Peel and dice the sweet potato and carrots before adding to the slow cooker
- De-seed and chop the red pepper, add to the slow cooker
- Chop the mushrooms and add to the slow cooker along with the beef
- Add the chopped tomatoes, beef stock and spices
- Stir and cook on slow for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours
- An hour before the end of cooking you may like to check progress and perhaps add some cornflour for thickening. I tend to leave the lid off for the last half hour, letting the sauce reduce down slightly.
- Serve with your choice of potatoes or rice and some lovely green vegetables