Upcycled Bead Ornaments

All this week I have been working towards hosting a Christmas Crafternoon in aid of the charity Mind, I've shared some papercraft ideas for making both baubles and hearts and have been busy picking up final supplies, mince pies, chocolates and mulled wine. It hasn't been a great week, with lots of things going on in the background but planning this event has really given me something to look forward to.


This last craft eluded me at the beginning of the week as I didn't have the right tools - it really does help if you have some pliers when working with the memory wire! However, now I've had time to experiment I've found that I've really enjoyed this one.



I bought the majority of these beads from eBay and they're certainly not cheap, although there are some deals to be had if you buy in bulk. The charms in particular were a good buy at less than £3 for 30 including free delivery.

The rest of the beads were donated, including some beautiful Swarovski beads from my Mummy that had once been a bracelet.

As my Mummy had been so generous and supportive in sending her supplies, old jewellery and beads from where she lives in Devon, I decided that I'd use some of the bracelet beads to make her a little gift. I'll be using this as an example at the event and posting it to her after to pop on her tree.


To make your own, you will need:
Memory wire (55mm diameter)
Approximately 35-40 small crystal/glass beads
A hanging charm
Pliers
Ribbon
Wire Cutters


- Use the wire cutters to cut one loop of memory wire with some overlap for bending hooks at the end.

- Thread the beads on to the wire in any pattern or way that suits you until you have completed a full circle.

- Once finished, use the pliers to bend the ends into two small loops which can then hook together. You can then use the pliers to squeeze them together or neaten them up.

- Trim any excess using the wire cutters.


- Thread the charm on to the ribbon until it hangs at the desire length and secure the ribbon to cover the hooks at the top of the ornament.

- The remaining ribbon can be used to hang your decoration from the tree.


And that's it! I've had a play round this week and you can also use some silver plated jewellery wire and some more beads for hanging the charm like the blue wreath below. I'm sure that for anyone with a tad more creativity, the possibilities are endless!


Keep checking back over the next few days, once I've held the event I'll be sharing how it goes, any works of art we create and how much we raise - wish me luck!

Trash 2 Treasure
Coombe Mill - Fiona said...

This looks so pretty and a very different Christmas decoration too, everyone is going to love making these at your event. I've never tried working with wire but you are tempting me to give it a go.

Thank you for sharing with me on #Trash2Treasure

Su said...

This is so beautiful! I am also a hoarder of beads. I must dig them out and do something beautiful with them. Thank you for the inspirations. :) #Trash2Treasure. x

Our Cherry Tree © . Design by Berenica Designs.